Since it's a new month and things have been happening, I thought I'd give a quick update on stuff.
Last week I discovered that James P Blaylock had a collection of essays on life and writing that had been available since February. I had to have it immediately and when it came I read it in two days. It included previous published items and a goodly amount of new material, stuff about writing and (most interestingly) how his life and writings interwoven. I don't have the precise details (cost, publisher, etc.) but learning about his childhood and his writing path and the vanished world he began in brings me ever-closer to him. I've always known from his work that he had "the right instincts", and now I'm even more sure. Also found out he loves Tolkien, which I always suspected but never found on record before!
Also on a less universal note, I went in on Friday for a further operation and had about half of my right foot (including all the toes) removed. Not as traumatic as I would have once thought; perhaps my feet being numb for years had something to do with it. The worst part about it is it puts my physical therapy back a bit. I advise everyone to stay healthy and as far from the need for a hospital stay as possible; the crashing boredom is terrible. If I did not have the kindly and loving visits from my family, I don't know what I'd do.
Also loving that it's September at last. I'm beginning to feel it around the edges!

I am sorry, mobility is a big issue as we age. I had a friend since 7th grade, we have had a close friendship until I unwisely decided to work for him; kind of changed things as he was not a very good boss. 27 years ago we moved from California to Iowa and have never looked back. I went back 6 years ago to help move my Mother In Law out of purgatory and we met up for the first time in decades. He was not the same man, very run down. We had little time to talk as I had to load a U-Haul and get. Shortly afterwards he sold out and went to Alaska and things really went downhill! He got in a wreck and would up losing a leg. Then the other developed a blood poisoning that kept him in pain and wheelchair bound. By this time, he was really all alone and relying on services for everything. A month ago, his last post was, "I have no legs.' So he lost the other one too. As I gimp around with my walker and leg imobilizer I lament the fact that my hip replacement put me in the 1 in 1000 that develop palsy after, for an indeterminate period of time, I reflect on that post and the anguish that prompted it, as I remembered a very fit man that had so much energy he rarely rested. I pray you heal quickly and regain the ability to be self suficient.
ReplyDeleteThank you! Good to hear from you.
ReplyDelete