Friday, April 1, 2022

Good Grief, More Shadow Library!

 

The Sketchbook [of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent.] ... Washington Irving
The Peloponnesian War ... Thucydides
King Solomon's Ring ... Konrad Z. Lorenz
Flash Gordon ... Arthur Byron
Brideshead Revisited ... Evelyn Waugh
The Hot-Blooded Dinosaurs ... Adrian J. Desmond

I sold The Sketchbook when I realized I had all the stories I wanted elswhere, and a Kindle edition rendered it doubly moot. The Thucydides was part of my Penguin books obsession; King Solomon's Ring was full of interesting but mostly exploded theories. I don't know why I bought Flash Gordon; it's not like I had a lot of money to fling around. But it was touted at the time as both the predecessor and successor of the Star Wars movies. I inherited the Waugh from Mike, and later with my usual instinct gave away what now appears to have been a first edition. The Hot-Blooded Dinosaurs was Mike's book, although I did read it with interest. For a while it was more or less 'in the family'. Dinosaurs were always a hot topic for us boys, and this intriguing new theory (which has now come to be more or less accepted) was the newest wrinkle in an old topic. I remembered it just last night, with a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment