Tuesday, April 12, 2022

The Ankh-Morpork Archives: A Discworld Anthology Volume II

 

The Ankh-Morpork Archives: A Discworld Anthology Volume II
by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Briggs
Illustrated by Paul Kidby

What I said about Volume I: 

"A hardback guidebook to Ankh-Morpork's Guilds, institutions & environs containing an anthology of text & illustrations from previous Discworld diaries - revamped & redesigned for the new visitor to Discworld's premier city! Written by Terry Pratchett and produced by Stephen Briggs, with artwork by Paul Kidby!" - https://www.discworldemporium.com/ 

By the time I became aware that there were Discworld Diaries they were almost at the end of their run. I thought I would have to make do with what was revealed of them in "The Discworld Companion". There were copies available online of course, but they were already going for fairly high prices, certainly out of my limited range. But the publishing of these Archives remedies my lack.  

"Lavish coffee-table book" pretty much describes this volume, and a good deal of its beauty is attributable to Paul Kidby, who has come to be my favorite artist when it comes to interpreting the Discworld. The art is second only (for me) to being able to read 'new' Pratchett on his fantasy world again. I can hardly wait for Volume II when it comes out in February 2022.”

 

 

As it is, it has come out in April. Just as beautiful, funny, and interesting as Volume I. I sat down and voraciously devoured it, and as it largely artwork with generously spaced text I finished it in a single afternoon. Though I can find no indication that there will be a Volume III, it seems there should be enough material in the remaining Diaries to produce one. Some of the artwork in the later Diaries is not by Kidby, though, and that might complicate things.  


No comments:

Post a Comment