Tuesday, April 19, 2022

The Bible Repairman and Other Stories

 

The Bible Repairman and Other Stories (2011) is a book I bought more or less on a misapprehension. I heard that it contained a story about Edward Trelawny, a linking character between Powers’ The Stress of Her Regard (1989) and Hide Me Among the Graves (2012). It was only when I started reading it that I realized that I was already familiar with the tale from Down and Out in Purgatory: The Collected Stories of Tim Powers (2017). It had not sunk deep enough into my long-term memory yet. Every other short story in Repairman was there as well.   

          Still, I cannot bring myself to regret the purchase entirely. It is a smaller, handier volume (sturdy, too) for rereading the tales therein, and is pre-eminently a good loaner copy. It was only $1.38, with five bucks shipping, so I am not much out of pocket.

          Apparently, it is an ex-Denver Public Library book, carrying the usual stickers. Curiously, it does not have the common cancellation marks (a DISCARD stamp and the bar codes struck through with black marker). Odd, that.


No comments:

Post a Comment