Wednesday, April 27, 2022

"It Looks More Like Number Two To Me"

 

We did not get another issue of Walt Disney Comics Digest until #6 in December of 1968 (half a year is an outrageously long time when you’ve only had five of them). When I started collecting them again at the turn of the century of course I had to try to get them all, particularly the ones we had but perhaps most intriguingly the ones we had missed. So here is #2, from July of 1968, which I never saw at all as a kid. It is odd, but the first time I read it I thought it a little sparse and that maybe the art wasn’t as good. But opening #1 and comparing them I saw that they were on par with each other. It was just that I didn’t have as much memory invested in #2 as I did in #1, I think. Anyway, I finally read the end of “Mickey and the Beanstalk” and saw the conclusion of "Babes in Toyland"., only about 47 years later. I’m pretty sure Mom and Pop weren’t very concerned (perhaps not even aware) of the “To Be Continued” elements of our lives, and at that age, except for a vague hoping, neither were we. We pretty much learned to make do with what we got, and to squeeze every drop of content and imagination out of it that we could.


No comments:

Post a Comment