Sunday, August 14, 2022

A Library Bookstore Haul

Yesterday, quite unexpectedly, Kelsey and Kameron came over at 10 AM and asked if I wanted to go to the Seguin Public Library bookstore with them. I hurriedly got dressed for town and off we went. There, one of the first things I found was Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris, the third book in the trilogy I'm reading. Not one to ignore the prompting of the universe, I snatched it up.
Also selected by the hint of fate was Truman by David McCullough. I've always enjoyed McCullough's books, and he has just passed away recently. Even though the copy I bought lacks this cover and President Truman has not been a subject of interest for me, I figured at library bookstore prices it was worth the gamble.
I also got this nice cheap copy of The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings because of vague promptings and tenuous connections and strange associations. Full of classic black-and-white illustrations by Edward Shenton.
The fact that they had a couple of Evelyn Waugh books, and that the title of one shared a quotation from Eliot with the recent Sandman adaptation, was enough of a signal to me to try these two early 20th Century British novels. Scoop and A Handful of Dust (lacks this jacket) go on my reading list. 
And last is this 1991 reprint of the classic The Little Engine That Could (The Complete Original Edition) by Watty Piper. These are the illustrations (by George and Doris Hauman) that I remember. I probably would never have seen it if Kelsey hadn't shown me it was there. Thanks, Kelsey! And at $6, it was the most expensive book I bought, while also being the skinniest. But you know, nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment