Monday, August 15, 2022

According To My Best Calculations


Last Thursday (August 11) I announced I was making a Book List, to better and more accurately come up with a count of how many books I actually have. Last night (August 14) I completed that list.

 

I had previously calculated a total of 2,216 books (with a variance of -20 or +20 either way), which, as it turns out, was exactly 90 short of the true sum of the 2,306. Then I had been counting from this blog and keeping the numbers ‘in my head’ and on some shaky notes in a pad. An actual list helped me keep a better grasp of my calculations.

 

This morning I copied the List and eliminated titles I think that I might part with in the case of dire necessity. I came up with 659 books that could go if circumstances arose, or that could be put in storage if it were just a matter of room. Such an event happened when I moved from Loop Drive where, as I recall, my library was just a dozen or so volumes away from three thousand.

 

That would leave me with a core collection of 1,647. There are a few books that could be trimmed in a pinch, I suppose, but this has still been a ruthless (if purely hypothetical) winnowing, with little regard to sentiment. Some of my oldest childhood possessions were eliminated, as well as a painful selection of Tolkien books (mostly about and not by him, it is true).

 

And so, the game is over, and my library remains, for now, as it was. I have enjoyed raking over my hoard in thought; it is an entertainment that amused me for four days. Time to turn to more productive activities, I hope. For one thing, Monday (and all that entails) must be accomplished.


No comments:

Post a Comment