Saturday, August 13, 2022

Fellow Traveler?

A Middle-earth Traveler: Sketches from Bag-End to Mordor (2018) by John Howe is the last of my post-birthday, pre-postmortem (for The Rings of Power) Middle-earth purchases, a collection of art and reminiscences from John Howe, the lesser concept artist from the Jackson Tolkien films, produced after the Hobbit trilogy. Howe is on the verge of being in my bad books at the moment for his defense of the upcoming Amazon production, but I suppose he must support it for commercial reasons, and from a design standpoint it seems … passable, if occasionally regrettable. I suppose Howe will even release some sort of connected art book. In which case, I might feel doubts about buying it. A Middle-earth Traveler may be the last book of his that I can whole-heartedly support.

“Combining concept work produced for films, existing Middle-earth art, and many new paintings and sketches exclusive to this book, A Middle-earth Traveler will take the reader on a unique and unforgettable journey across Tolkien’s magical landscape”. – Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment