Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Three Titles in The Shadow Library

 

Barchester Towers & The Warden, by Anthony Trollope (A Modern Library Book)
Robin Hood, by Howard Pyle
The Lives of the Kings and Queens of England, edited by Antonia Fraser

Examining that old photo from yesterday's post, I was able to identify two more books from the Shadow Library. One was the old copy of Robin Hood (title shortened from The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood) by Howard Pyle. The two things I believe about this copy is that it was probably not a Junior Deluxe Edition though it resembles one, and that it certainly did not have Pyle's illustrations. The second book I recognized was The Lives of the Kings and Queens of England, edited by Antonia Fraser, something of a souvenir volume for someone visiting Great Britain. And I was reminded of my copy of Barchester Towers & The Warden by Anthony Trollope because Steve Donoghue was reading a chapter of Trollope on YouTube.

Also visible is a Classics Club edition; I can't read the title but I want to say either Utopia by Thomas More or The Republic by Plato.

No comments:

Post a Comment