Saturday, November 12, 2022

Chilled With Disappointment

I fully expected to receive this issue (Walt Disney Comics Digest #31) today, thus completing my 40+ year-long dream of owning the whole run. I sat on the front porch in the brisk wind of the first really cold day of the year waiting for the mail to arrive, braced and invigorated by the weather. I thrilled to see the mail truck arrive and popped my head into the big house to get the key. There was a rather larger package than I expected, but it was obviously it. I took it in and opened it, breaking my old blue scissors in the process. My heart fell as I unwrapped the inner core. This is what I found:
It had been securely wrapped and was in excellent condition, but it was not what I had ordered and an issue I already had. For the first time this cold day, I felt chilled. I contacted my seller and told them what happened. I said I did not feel obliged to return their mistake, as the packaging was basically destroyed in the unwrapping, and that I expected them also to send me what I had ordered for no further money.  Whether they shall comply with my requests is a vexed question. In the meantime, my quest must go unfilled for a while yet. 

I know that technically I am not one whit the worse off than I was yesterday, but I let the anticipation of its arrival act as the impetus and the fuel for driving the early accomplishment of several tasks, so as to have more free time to bask in the experience. My hopes were raised, my mood elevated, only to be dashed against a brick wall. What had been shaping up to be a grand day has somehow been poisoned by the stymieing of what should be a trifling transaction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment