Tuesday, November 29, 2022

'The Region of the Summer Stars'

 

THE REGION OF THE SUMMER STARS

 

The Moon was sinking in the West;

Her face was pinched and drawn.

The Sun was rising in the East;

His face was pale and wan.

Between was seen, as from afar,

The Region of the Summer Star.

 

An Elf came walking from the wood:

His face was glad and fair.

The sheen of elven-light was seen

Glimmering in his hair,

And in his arms he bore along

A harp, on which he played a song:

 

"Far over the roaring ocean,

Far from this shore, there lies

The distant land of Elvenhome

Beneath the northern skies.

Fair Elvenhome! A guiding star

To those who wander here afar!

 

"White ships may cross the foaming waves

But I will tarry here

Amid the dales and hidden caves

Close by the misty mere.

I'll dwell upon the water's side

And near the shady woods abide,

 

"Until the pools are sheathed in ice

And brown leaves are falling;

When I hear, in the winter's night,

The white owl's deep calling.

Then I will turn my gaze afar

Toward the Region of the Star."


[I wrote this poem and drew the picture I think in my senior year of high school or soon thereafter. I hadn't read the Charles Williams book, but I'd heard the phrase.]


No comments:

Post a Comment