Friday, November 18, 2022

"Kren" Part Eighteen: Doubts

 

“Ah, now that’s the embarrassing part.” His smile twisted. “You see, his name is Koppa, and right now he’s acting as Herald for the King, and, well … talking to you.”

For a moment Kren stared at the youth, eyes round as an owl’s. Then he burst out with an immense braying laugh. For a moment he couldn’t stop, bent over double again and again.

“You?” he choked the word out at last. “Well, sir, that was a fine bedtime story while it lasted. You had me going there for a moment! The tale is certainly worth a night’s lodging.” Kren chuckled. “What do you say we hit the hay for the last few hours of the night so you can be on your way before Mr. Ventil comes along with his cudgel to roust you out of town?”

Koppa’s face was sober as a judge, almost insulted.

“I sense a hint of doubt in your voice,” he said flatly.

Kren snorted.

“Oh, come on, boy. You say you killed the Black King, and yet the Hetman stymies you and almost sets his thugs on your tail? Then even Pappy can kick you out of his bar? And I’m supposed to think such a powerful wizard would allow that?”

“Well, I must admit I was rather exalted beyond my reach when I did it. The Goldfire, you know. Still, I’m powerful enough to take care of myself if I need to.” Koppa shrugged. “But I’m here as a Herald, not as a wizard. Every rooster is king of his own dunghill, they say, and your Hetman can crow as he likes. Time will reveal all truth eventually. I’ve done my duty and told the facts.”

He cocked an eyebrow at the Morg.

“It’s up to each to decide whether he’ll believe them.”

Kren sighed heavily and ran a tired paw from brow to beard-tip.

“Look, I’d like to believe you. Okay, maybe Barek is dead. Maybe a man rules in Morg City now. Fine and dandy. But that you did all that … well, amazing claims demand amazing proof, my old master used to say.” He yawned. “Look. It’s been a long hard day and I’m too sleepy right now to argue about it. So, let’s close things down for the night, shall we, and get some rest, Mr. Wizard?”

Koppa laughed.

“You may have been raised among humans, but you’re pure Morg through and through! Skeptical to the bone. But I can’t have you thinking I’m a liar; you're involved with me now. I suppose a little demonstration of power is in order.”

The young man tapped his chin thoughtfully, eyes bright as he mused.

“But what to do? Magically light a candle? Too little, perhaps, too mild. A country fair sort of trick. Blow up the town? Satisfying, maybe, but a bit extreme.”

“A bit,” Kren agreed wearily. “Look, can we just get some sleep?”

“Sleep,” Koppa said, catching hold of the word. “Sleep … dreams … I have it!” He straightened up in his chair, shoulders squared back. He held out a hand, with the thumb and little finger pointing at the Morg’s eyes. “Remember!”


No comments:

Post a Comment