Thursday, August 27, 2020

By the Professor Himself

The Hobbit, by J. R. R. Tolkien (2 copies)
I first read “The Hobbit” in middle school, and in time I got a boxed set of “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings” for Christmas. At one time Nanny gave me a copy with the old emus-and-eggplants cover that someone had left at her shop, that was eventually patched with electrical tape. I wonder where that went? Anyway, I have the boxed set copy of “The Hobbit” which won’t fit in the box anymore because the books are so “plumped out” with reading. This copy has Tolkien’s artwork on it. I have another copy from when the early 80’s Darrell K. Sweet covers came out (I sent the LOTR books of this set with Kenny to Florida as a going away present; I’ve seen them on his shelves when I’ve visited).  
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Fantasy. Novel. Paperbacks.

The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, by J. R. R. Tolkien.
The boxed set I got for Christmas. Still has some old bookmarks from Ring Day celebrations. The box is gold-foil with examples of Tolkien’s “Elvish Heraldry” on it. “Return” is patched with Scotch tape.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Fantasy. Novel. Paperback.
The Tolkien Reader, by J. R. R. Tolkien (2 copies)
The Tolkien Reader was my vade mecum for an intense couple of years, as you can see from the condition of my first copy. It got dragged along to school, on shopping expeditions, journeys to my grandmother's house, camping; in short, any trip where there was likely to be stretches of dull time to be filled. The Reader includes Peter S. Beagle's essay Tolkien's Magic RingThe Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's SonTree and LeafFarmer Giles of Ham, and The Adventures of Tom Bombadil. My favorite part of the whole book must be The Sea Bell, telling the story of someone who journeys to a magical land across the sea, is at first enchanted by, then arrogantly transgresses it, and is banished back to mortal lands to wander disconsolately. This poem seems to perfectly encapsulate the experience of anyone who has travelled through books to realms of wonder, and then returns to the quieter experience of real life.” “Tolkien became, in the words of Peter S. Beagle, "the center of my secret knowledge." Things really took off. I read [LOTR] avidly and was able to pick up a copy of The Tolkien Reader. I'll never forget when a guy noticed it on top of my pile of schoolbooks and said, "Oh. You're one of those people." I didn't know exactly what he meant, if anything. I had no idea of the phenomenon that Tolkien was. In the cultural wilderness of our backwater town, it was just good news from a far country.” – Power of Babel. This was in middle school. My original copy is missing its back cover. Illustrations by Pauline Baynes.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Fantasy. Reader. Paperbacks.

The Silmarillion, by J. R. R. Tolkien. (2 copies)
Bought this paperback in 1979, and it has Tolkien’s own artwork on it, and my name written inside. I used to have the Sweet cover too, but sent it with Yen, I think. I also have a copy from England, by Unwin Paperbacks. I’ll speak more about the book when we get to the hardback later.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Fantasy. Novel. Paperbacks.

Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth, by J. R. R. Tolkien, Edited by Christopher Tolkien. (2 copies)
I bought these because I liked the covers. The Ballantine has a picture of Sauron (which is fairly rare) by Shelley Shapiro, and the other is a Del Rey with a Tony Di Terlizzi of a hobbit in Tolkien’s study, reading his manuscript. I’ll speak more of the book when I get to the hardback.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Fantasy. Literature. Paperbacks.
Smith of Wootton Major and Farmer Giles of Ham, by J. R. R. Tolkien. (2 copies)
Ballantine Books, illustrations by Pauline Baynes. My first copy had the Hildebrandt cover; John bought the older copy with the Baynes cover, which he gave to me eventually. I’ll speak more of the book when I get to the hardbacks.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Fantasy. Novel. Paperback.
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight-Pearl-Sir Orfeo, Translated by J. R. R. Tolkien.
His translated Middle English poems; it’s a glance at the professional side of his work, which stimulated my interest in that period.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: English Literature. Poetry. Paperback.


No comments:

Post a Comment