Friday, August 14, 2020

Penguins, George Macdonald, and Airmont Classics



A Sentimental Journey (Through France and Italy), by Laurence Sterne.
A Penguin Book. A follow-up, of sorts, to his great “Tristram Shandy”. “He launches into conversations with no story to tell, little plan of narration, and a habit of slipping down every side-turning … but there is no getting away from him. What begins as an account of the dying author on a tour by coach through France and Italy, ends up as a treasury of dramatic sketches, pathetic and ironic incidents, philosophical musings, reminiscences and anecdotes.” – cover blurb. At the finish of this book (which I believe was intended to go into more volumes) he writes: “So that when I stretched out my hand, I caught hold of the filles de chamber’s – END.”
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Travel? Novel? Paperback.

Medieval English Verse, Edited and Translated by Brian Stone.

Another Penguin anthology. Poetry religious and secular, and it must be remembered that from this period it is Catholic religion, though it does have its own peculiar English tang. Tolkien’s area of course, and so of added interest to me, as I nose into his territory like a timid tourist. A fairly recent acquisition.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Poetry. Medieval. Paperback.

Phantastes and Lilith, by George MacDonald.
Both of these are Eerdman Books (Eerdmans Publishing Company is a religious publishing house based in Grand Rapids, Michigan), both have an Introduction by C. S. Lewis (adapted from an essay), and both have covers of such wonderfully deep and glowing colors that they rival Maxfield Parrish himself. Admired by Lewis Carroll, G, K. Chesterton, and C. S. Lewis (who attributed “Phantastes” for ‘baptizing his imagination’ and contributing to his conversion), MacDonald wrote these ‘fairy tales for grownups’ as a strange spiritual odyssey. The style is admittedly hard for a modern-day reader, and I must confess to not having thoroughly read them through, but with some skipping and parsing for the ‘story’. But what I have read has gifted me with lingering images and insights.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Fantasy. Novel. Paperback.
At the Back of the North Wind, by George MacDonald
An Airmont paperback, and that means a certain level of cheapness, but it is Complete and Unabridged. With line illustrations that I’m almost certain are adapted from Frank C. Pape’s paintings for the book. One of MacDonald’s stories that combine fantasy and religious allegory. This old copy made its way all the way from California!
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Fantasy. Novel. Children’s Book. Paperback.

The Princess and the Goblin, by George MacDonald.
An Airmont paperback, and now that I think of it, probably my only physical copy of the book. I used to have a hardback (bought at HEB, of all places), but I either must have given it away or sold it, or just clean forgot where I put it, which seems unlikely. Aha! Jules Gotlieb appears to be the cover artist whose work I admire; the interior illustrations are the classic ones by Arthur Hughes. The best of MacDonald’s fairy tales, it was made into a terrible animated film with Molly Sugden and Rik Mayel as voice actors. Also parodied in “Fractured Fairy Tales” on the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Children’s Book. Classic. Paperback.

The Princess and Curdie, by George MacDonald.
From Chariot Books, a religious publishing house. I remember I got it at the St. Andrew’s Episcopalian Book store, one of those times I went with Mom. Got some L’Engle and Lewis there, and Chesterton’s “St. Francis of Assissi”. And a toy Noah’s ark with little animals. And Bible cradles. A sequel to “The Princess and the Goblin”, it suffers a bit from ‘sequelitis’. I didn’t read it all the way through in this form.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Children’s Book. Classic. Paperback.

The Adventures of Pinocchio, by Carlo Collodi.
I love these old Airmont Books Classics Series editions. I have seen their painted cover art described as “cheesy” but there is one uncredited artist whose style I admire, and “Pinocchio” has it. Also some rather poor interior line illustrations. We had an old copy of Pinocchio in what I call a “coffee can” or “department store” edition, a cheaply bound cardboard-covered book that lost its front so long ago I can’t remember what it looked like – maybe The Children’s Press edition. Which is neither here nor there. I have a much better copy.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Children’s Book. Classic. Paperback.
Stories of King Arthur, Retold by Blanche Winder. (2 copies)
With line illustrations that are adapted, I have seen, from paintings illustrating an earlier hardback edition. I read this back in Fifth Grade, in Mrs. Harris’s class, and was blown away with the story of Merlin more than any of the knightly adventures, and found the retelling of the Grail and the founding of the Round Table to be numinous experiences. This version of The Matter of Britain has affected me more deeply than any subsequent telling, perhaps in a way even more than T. H. White. I must have been just the right age. The picture of the evil fairy-man taking the king’s daughter reminded me of “Gargoyles” and seemed very ominous to me, and old Merlin playing his harp stirred something sorcerous in my soul. An Airmont book, cover (probably) by Jules Gotlieb. I have another copy protected in a plastic sleeve.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Legend. Arthurian. Children’s Book. Paperback.
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum.
No reason to have this copy, except I just like Oz in all its version. Cover by Roy Krenkel, Jr., and if I’m not mistaken, interior illustrations are his too. [Krenkel was an American illustrator who specialized in fantasy and historical drawings and paintings for books, magazines and comic books. – Wikipedia]. An Airmont Classic, apparently they did “The Land of Oz” as well, with a very misleading cover.
Ranking: Keeper
File Code: Children’s Classic. Fantasy. Paperback.
The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame.
Another Airmont classic, artist for the cover and interior line illustrations unknown, but obviously the same, and might have been slightly influenced by Rackham. No real reason to have this edition except cheap nostalgia.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Children’s Classic. Paperback.
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories, by Washington Irving.
An Airmont Classic and an anthology of Irving’s short stories. Cover, I suspect, by Jules Gotlieb. “A collection such as this one, which ranges more generously over Irving’s whole work [other than ‘Rip’ and ‘Hollow’] may not only teach us why Irving was once so popular but may suggest that Irving has more to offer a modern reader than just his two most famous stories.” – blurb from the back cover.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Anthology. Short Stories. Paperback.






No comments:

Post a Comment