Thursday, August 13, 2020

Old Summer Reads

The Green Knight, by Vera Chapman.
Vera Chapman, also known within the Tolkien Society as Belladonna Took, was a British author and founder of the Tolkien Society in the United Kingdom, and also wrote a number of pseudo-historical and Arthurian books. Chapman wrote three fantasy novels based on Arthurian legendThe Green Knight (1975),King Arthur's Daughter (1976), and The King's Damosel (1976).” – Wikipedia. I bought The Green Knight for the Hildebrandt cover (I got the other two some years later; they also had Hildebrandt covers, but I sold them eventually), and it influenced some of my first ever drawings. Read the book, too, but wasn’t very impressed. They based that animated movie “Quest for Camelot” on “The King’s Damosel”. Go figure.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Fantasy. Novel. Paperback.
The Face in the Frost, by John Bellairs.
“Many years ago (evidence suggests it was 1979 or so) there came the first time I bought books with my own money. Before then I had to beg Mom long and hard. But I had made $10 doing yard work, and I was ready to step out on my own booking adventures. There was no local bookstore, only the racks in the grocery store, drugstore, and convenience stores. I chose to go to Gibson's, our small local department store, and while Mom combed the clothes aisles, I browsed the racks, looking for fantasy in the Tolkienian vein. With my bill and some loose change I was just able to buy three paperback books (wondrous times!), and I chose The Source of Magic by Piers Anthony (a dragon on the cover), The Illearth War by Stephen R. Donaldson (two cool wizardy guys on the front, and a comparison to JRRT), and The Face in the Frost, by John Bellairs (good things by Lin Carter and Ursula K. LeGuin quoted, and again a cool wizardy guy). Now thirty years later I have given up on Anthony after following the Xanth series for twenty or so sequels, wait patiently for Donaldson to grind out the ninth (and last) book of the Thomas Covenant series, and mourn that there is no more genuine Bellairs forthcoming, ever. Thirty years on I am grateful that my instinct and luck led me to buy that first Bellairs.” – Power of Babel. The Carl Lundgren cover is sweet, and it has illustrations by Marilyn Fitschen inside. I have since bought a newer copy, and its included in the hardback “Magic Mirrors”. Used to have a silly little sticker of a dragon on it.
Ranking: Keeper and Essential
File Code: Fantasy. Novel. Paperback.

The Abominations of Yondo, by Clark Ashton Smith.
Macabre tales by Lovecraft’s old pal. This secondhand edition is from 1974. Never read it.
Ranking: Dispensable.
File Code: Horror. Anthology. Paperback.
Incubus, by Ray Russell.
A trashy supernatural novel later made into a trashy supernatural movie. What can I say, it was the 70’s and we were young. I remember I transcribed some of its ‘spells’ into my red spiral notebook ‘grimoire’. I must have thrown that away, after taking any drawings out.
Ranking: Nostalgic Keeper.
File Code: Horror. Novel. Paperback.

Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes, “By John H. Watson, M.D.” as Edited by Loren D. Estleman.
Both Penguin books. You’d think a match-up between Holmes and Dracula couldn’t fail, right? But it’s basically a retelling of Stoker’s book with Holmes jammed into the lacunae and offstage interstices. Couldn’t bring myself to read the Hyde book after the first few pages.
Ranking: Dispensable.
File Code: Horror. Detection. Pastiche. Novels. Paperbacks.

Interview with the Vampire, by Anne Rice.
Mike bought this at Pic-n-Pac, the first of what became the Vampire Chronicles. I had tons of Anne Rice once upon a time, but then I sold them all; this is the only one I have left. I got tired of her cult and her personal vacillations. Basically, this is vampire erotica and meditations on mortality (sex and death), that old teen stew.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Horror. Novel. Paperback.
Merlin, by Robert Nye.
The cover says, “A Very Adult Fantasy.” A cross between Arthurian lore, Rabelaisian scholarship, medieval demonology, and a dirty joke, it is withal a heady and amusing brew. I read this book before I read “Falstaff” in college. I’ll always give a book about Merlin a try.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Fantasy. Novel. Paperback.

The Book of the Dun Cow, by Walter Wangerin, Jr.
Another book from Eckerd’s and the high school period. It has been compared to a cross between “Animal Farm, Watership Down, and The Lord of the Rings”.  A religious fable that deals with a sort of paradise, a fall, a flood, a struggle with evil, and ends with a redemption, and all told with … chickens. And other animals. Long after reading, the characters of John Wesley Weasel and Mundo Cani Dog still resonate. Told in an oddly poetic, simple, incantatory style. It has a sequel, “The Book of Sorrows” that I bought and found disappointing, and then an inevitable 3rd book, “Peace at the Last”, that I only just found out existed. Still, this initial book can stand on its own and is great; I’ve read it many times.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Fantasy. Novel. Paperback.

She, by H. Rider Haggard.
A Del Rey fantasy book. I tried to collect the other three in this series, but when I found the two that I could get were tedious, I sold them and stuck with the original classic. Besides being a good read, it is culturally significant within the fantasy genre, as his works were read and enjoyed by C. S. Lewis, and even Tolkien was able to draw a few gems from Haggard’s mines and polish them up.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Adventure. Novel. Paperback.





No comments:

Post a Comment