Monday, August 31, 2020

Short Commons After a Weekend Feast


Christmas: Vintage Holiday Graphics and Halloween: Vintage Holiday Graphics, both edited by Jim Heimann.
Taschen Icon books, crammed page after page with images that evoke memories of classic holiday celebrations, with historical interest for the changing ways of the festivities. Glorious to peruse.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Holiday. Art Books. Softcover.
The Adventures of Unc’ Billy Possum, by Thornton W. Burgess. Illustrations by Harrison Cady.

“Thornton W. Burgess's books were some of the first "chapter" books I read back in McQueeney Elementary back in the early Seventies. At the time a lot of their resources were a little elderly, recalling the Fifties and even the Forties (this goes for their teachers as well as their books), but provided an excellent grounding in the basics for all of that. Burgess's books with Cady's illustrations always strike that nostalgic note with me, and I was pleased to see them lovingly remembered and paid tribute to by John Crowley in his monumental Little, Big.” – Power of Babel. I used to have quite a few Burgess books, but I’ve sold most of them, as I realized I only wanted a few for nostalgia. Unc’ Billy is the one I most remembered, and this used edition, from the “Seguin Independent School District”, is just perfect for that purpose. [Although I can't find an image for the library re-binding cover of my copy, which inexplicably shows Bobby Coon wandering through the snow with a stick, rather than Unc' Billy Possum himself. This picture is close to the spirit, though.]
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Children’s Book. Nostalgia. Hardback. 

No comments:

Post a Comment