Sunday, August 30, 2020

Classics, Collections, and Colonial


Moby Dick, or The Whale, by Herman Melville.
A Modern Library book. This used to belong to Mike, and when he passed away, I kept it. I remember reading Moby Dick when I took Mom to the doctor, and I used to read it to Kameron at bedtime to help him go to sleep. Even now, Kam has my old paperback copy.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Classic. Novel. Hardback.
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain.

A Modern Library book. The inscription by the original owner reads 1943. This used to belong to Mike, and when he passed away, I kept it. We used to have old Whitman Classic copies of these books when we were little.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Classic. Novel. Hardback.
The Story of Mankind, by Hendrik Willem Van Loon.
Illustrated with simple line drawings and maps and completed by the author’s son. “The Story of Mankind was written and illustrated by Dutch-American journalist, professor, and author Hendrik Willem van Loon and published in 1921. In 1922, it was the first book to be awarded the Newbery Medal for an outstanding contribution to children's literature. Written for his children (Hansje and Willem), The Story of Mankind tells in brief chapters the history of western civilization beginning with primitive man, covering the development of writing, art, and architecture, the rise of major religions, and the formation of the modern (for 1921) nation-state. Van Loon explains in the book how he selected what and what not to include by subjecting all materials to the question: Did the person or event in question perform an act without which the entire history of civilization would have been different?” A constant presence in middle and high school libraries, it was sort of Will-and-Ariel-Durant for kids. When I saw a copy, I had to get it.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Children’s Book. History. Hardback.
The Oxford Book of English Verse (1940), Edited by Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch.
Anthology of verse. Browser.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Poetry. Anthology. Hardback.
The Oxford Book of American Verse (1950), Edited by F. O. Matthiessen.
Anthology of verse. Browser.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Poetry. Anthology. Hardback.
Familiar Quotations, by John Bartlett (12th Edition, Revised and Enlarged) 1951.
Full of quotes that I am sure are not in later editions but have been replaced by more modern familiarities. Ah, a browser from the Elder Days, redolent of another age! Cover slightly roach-chewed, it appears to me. Used to be Mike’s.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Quotations. Anthology. Hardback.
King Arthur and his Knights of The Round Table, Written and Illustrated by Howard Pyle.
I first read this book – not this copy, you understand – in middle school, where, with The Hobbit and The Sword in the Stone and The Dark is Rising and an adaptation of Beowulf (coming up in the inventory) it formed the new nucleus of my reading adventure. I remember I was reading it in the car when Billy Castleberry came out and tried to make me leave the parking lot and watch football practice – but I wouldn’t. I was fine where I was. I loved Pyle’s style so much that I Xeroxed all the illustrations when I was in college and could get access to a copy again. I had a paperback bought years ago that I sold when this one took its place. Bought it at a library sale or a used bookstore, I think. The faux-Mallory writing style is atrocious, though. [The cover is a plain rebinding, so I use my favorite Pyle illustration here.]
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Children’s Books. Legends. Hardback.
 The Story of the Champions of the Round Table, Written and Illustrated by Howard Pyle.
The 2nd of the four Arthur books that Pyle did, I have been trying hard for years to get the whole series. Not hard enough to order them over the internet, though. I don’t have the memories attached to this one like I did to the first; I don’t think I’ve even tried to read it.
Ranking: Keeper (especially if I can get the others)
File Code: Children’s Book. Legends. Softcover.
 John Adams, by David McCullough
I’ve always been fond of John Adams since I saw his portrayal in the movie “1776”, and what I’ve seen of the Paul Giamatti personation in the TV adaptation of this book has only increased my interest and respect. McCullough is a superb historian, and what is more, a storyteller, who breathes life and interest into otherwise dry facts. It is a big book, but not a whit too long.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Biography. History. Softcover.
1776, by David McCullough
“1776  is a companion to McCullough's earlier biography of John Adams, and focuses on the events surrounding the start of the American Revolutionary War. While revolving mostly around the leadership (and often indecisiveness) of George Washington, there is also considerable attention given to King George IIIWilliam HoweHenry Knox, and Nathanael Greene. Key Revolutionary War battles detailed in the book include the Battle of Dorchester Heights, the Battle of Long Island, and the Battle of Trenton. The activities of the Second Continental Congress and the signing of the Declaration of Independence is treated in less detail, as the focus is on military rather than political events. The book includes multiple pages of full color illustrations, including portraits and historical battlefield maps made by British engineers at the time.” – Wikipedia.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: History. America. Softcover.

No comments:

Post a Comment