Friday, July 8, 2022

Alternate Archives?

While I was researching David Wenzel and Kingdom of the Dwarfs I ran across these Ace paperbacks, Song of the Dwarves (1988), followed by Revenge of the Valkyrie (1989). They were written by Thorarinn Gunnarsson, the pseudonym of a practicing science fiction writer whose real name has still not been revealed. They are basically a retelling of the Wagnerian Ring-Cycle. I’m sure if I had seen them at the time, I would probably have bought them, especially based on that first cover. But possibly not, if I had perceived them as a Ring Re-Cycle. Anyway, it’s an intriguing possibility and one that I am still a little tempted to investigate. They’re not very expensive on Amazon. But perhaps it is just as well that they remain a what-if. After all, I have images of the covers, which are most likely the best parts of the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment