Thursday, July 28, 2022

The Kingdom of the Cults: From The Shadow Library

 

The Kindom of the Cults, by Walter R. Martin. I got my copy of this book in the early Eighties, as I recall, mostly to read what he had on the Jehovah's Witnesses. We had left them, but were still untangling ourselves emotionally from the group. As a Baptist, Martin wasn't particularly pleased with the Catholic Church, but gave Catholic Christians a soft pass as they believed in the divinity of Christ. It was interesting to read how various other religions, from Mormonism to Islam, differed from mainstream Christian belief. Not sure when I parted with my copy. It has been updated in the new century with material by the somewhat controversial evangelical minister Ravi Zacharias, who has since been posthumously "defrocked" for alleged sexual misconduct. Whether that would effect his scholarship in the new edition I do not know, but anyway I had the earlier, solo effort. The title has turned up twice in my recent podcast viewing, which recalled the book to memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment