Thursday, July 7, 2022

"Bob's Book": Chapter Two, Page Seventeen

 

I suppressed a smile and decided to change the subject to get everyone back into an agreeing mood.

“My, it isn’t half-cold in here, isn’t it?” I said brightly, hugging my shoulders dramatically. Surely, no one would argue about that.

Rose started, as if suddenly realizing it herself, and drew her cape even closer around about her.

“Is that stove even lit?” she shivered.

“I heard that the temperature is due to drop all day,” Rank said stoically.

The idea of the cold seemed to be seizing the slight girl even more.

“Do you think one of you gentleman could check the fire?”

“Now, I don’t reckon it’s our place to go messing with the arrangements around here …” Rank began.

But I was already bouncing up. I went over, opened the stove door, then turned to report.

“No fire, but it’s all laid for one.”


No comments:

Post a Comment