Monday, July 18, 2022

"Bob's Book": Chapter Two, Page Nineteen

 

Rank sat glowering while I fiddled with the tinder. Finally, to fill in the lull and I think to take Rose down a peg or two, he spoke up.

“So, Miss Calhoun, you are a Roman Catholic?”

“I believe that is perfectly obvious,” she replied haughtily.

“Well, I hope you realize that kind of flummery won’t fly at the Bureau, despite its superficial air of hoodoo and hocus pocus. This is a governmental institution, not a religious one. If you do hope to succeed here, it would perhaps be best if you downplayed your affiliation.”

She colored.  

“If you expect me to deny my faith just to get a job, you are sadly mistaken. I think this place could very well use a dose of religion, and if what I’m told about it is true …”

I was able just then to straighten up and sing out cheerfully “There! I reckon that’s gotten her going!” before the conversation could get any more heated. I closed the stove door on the licking flames with a clang.  

“Thank goodness!” Rose hurried over and held her hands out to the stove and I followed her example, standing elbow to elbow with her. Rank stayed where he was sitting, looking at us stubbornly.

“Come on over!” I gestured cheerfully.

The older boy harrumphed.

“I’m fine where I am.”


No comments:

Post a Comment