Wednesday, July 27, 2022

"Bob's Book": Chapter Two, Page Twenty-Two

 

“Now, let’s begin alphabetically,” he said briskly. “Bob Bellamy?”

“Here, sir,” I chirped brightly, raising my hand. I stood up and marched over to the desk.

“Ah, Mr. Bellamy’s son!” he said, and gave me a tight little official smile as he rustled a form out of a file. “So nice to meet you in person at last.” He bent over the document and began making out a note.

“May I have your papers, please?” He extended his free hand without looking up.

I stopped, taken aback.

“Papers?”

Mr. Williams looked up at that, eyes widening in mild surprise.

“Application, testimonials, so on and so forth?”

“Ah … I … I didn’t know I needed any.” I was at a loss. I began unconsciously patting my pockets, as if the wanted articles might magically appear. I didn’t have so much as a calling card. “My Pa was bringing me in, but he got called away. I expect he’s got any of that, but he never told me about it. I guess he was pretty much going to be my testimonial,” I finished lamely.

“Oh. I see.” He began shuffling his forms, looking put out by the deviation from the system. “Oh, dear.” He rearranged his papers some more, shook his head as if clearing his mind, and looked up pleasantly. “I suppose that given the circumstances we can take the formalities as read, for now. After all, it isn’t every day that the son of an eminent agent comes following in his father’s footsteps.”

Rank snorted at that, as if all his suspicions had been vindicated. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Rose looking at me differently, re-evaluating me in her appraisal.

“Thank’ee, sir.” I was relieved but blushing all the same. I felt I was not quite living up to expectations and had been caught on one foot.

“You will in time have to produce them, however,” Mr. Williams concluded warningly. It was as good as a dismissal. He began checking his papers again. Rank watched him attentively, tensing in readiness as I returned to my seat, rather ashamed that I hadn’t performed as expected.

The Secretary looked up.

“Rosemary Calhoun,” He announced. Rank shrank back in his seat.


No comments:

Post a Comment