Monday, September 4, 2023

Into the Archive: More Powers to Me

 

After Many a Summer, by Tim Powers

Subterranean Press, Jan. 1, 2023

“A down-and-out screenwriter is hired to deliver a mummified head as the ransom for a kidnapped Belgian heiress, but his encounters with the superstitious kidnappers and the heiress lead him to question his actions.” – Amazon.

More of a longish short story than a novella, I would say: this slim little book tops out at 84 pages. I wasn’t even aware of it a week ago, and now it arrived at about 2 PM today and I have already finished reading it. With relish, I might add; it is after all a Tim Powers. I am expecting a more substantial offering from him later this month. My Brother’s Keeper continues his works featuring English Romantic authors and the supernatural. I suppose I shall soon have to rearrange my Powers shelf.

At the same time I ordered the book, I got this too, overwhelmed with yearning, toy-lust stirred up by my recent postings, and with the rather poor rationalization that the price would only go up with time. Hard to resist, under the circumstances. 


No comments:

Post a Comment