Thursday, September 21, 2023

Out of the Toybox (30): Aragorn and ... Some Bad, Bad Men?

A number of figures of Aragorn (not Aragon), from Ranger to King. I had taken this picture before I realized I hadn’t included the Bakshi Knickerbocker version as I have been doing, but I think in this instance I don’t need to go back and retake it, as I showed it in an earlier group post. The character of Aragorn from the Jackson films is extremely popular, though he has been somewhat adapted to appeal to modern sensibilities [Tolkien's Aragorn: I've been waiting all my life to fulfill my destiny. Now is the hour! Jackson's Aragorn: I don't want to be king. I'm just a regular guy. Quit bugging me about my destiny! – stoneofthehapless].

Included are some bad, bad men. There are three Easterlings, or Haradrim, including the bald Oliphaunt Master; ‘wicked Men’, as Gollum put it, who joined Sauron’s forces, though Faramir later questions just how evil they really are, as opposed to being coerced or deluded by the Dark Lord. There are three ‘Dead Men of Dunharrow’, including a glow-in-the-dark King. ‘Murderers, traitors’ and a nasty batch of spooks to boot, they at least fulfill their Oath to the Heir of Elendil and join Aragorn in the fight against Sauron and are at last laid to rest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment