Friday, September 1, 2023

Out of the Toybox (13): In the Year 2008

 

A little batch of anime-style action figures, including some of the many (I find by looking at my old blog) that I purchased from my friend Tom Villareal’s store, Z’s Toys and More in the year 2008. My fascination with several shows like Dragonball Z, Trigun, Tenchi Muyo, and Samurai Champloo was at its height and made me take risks with buying figures from other anime-style lines, whether direct from the store or from garage sales, which I visited quite a bit at the time with my sister Susan.

Lezard Valeth from Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, a Square Enix video game series; he is a protagonist and necromancer. I didn’t know any of this until today when I looked it up for this post. I got him mostly because he has a good sculpt, and a book. He has the further distinction of being the first action figure I featured on my older blog, Power of Babel.

Yumi and Odd from Code Lyoko, bought in a batch with a lot of Avatar: The Last Airbender at a garage sale.

Vash the Stampede and Nicholas D. Wolfwood, from Kaiyodo (distributed by Diamond Comics) bought at Acme Comix. Meryl Stryfe followed in 2014; looking it up just now I see that she’s going for $200 on at least one site (MIB, which is how I got her).

Tenchi Masaki and Ryoko, from Tenchi Muyo, and in McFarlane’s line of anime legends. Ryoko came with a figure of Ryo-Ohki, her ‘cabbit’ that transforms into a spaceship in the show. I can’t quite put my finger on it at the moment.

Marik Ishtar, from Yu-Gi-Oh!, bought at a venture and on a bored whim at the local Walmart.



Not action figures, but in scale with the 3 3/4 ones. We used to collect these from the prize machines at the old Great Wall Chinese restaurant. There are a few that actually accompanied action figures, though, like the 2 Mr. Bigglesworths from the Austin Powers line.


No comments:

Post a Comment