Friday, October 20, 2023

Out of the Toybox (80): Life in Hell

 



If my memory is not completely playing tricks on me, one of the first DVDs I ever watched was Hellboy (2004) on the first DVD player our family ever owned over on Cottage Street when Mike and John were living there. Kenny was visiting at the time and wanted us to see it. Growing from skeptical criticism (probably coming from insecurity and ignorance of the ‘lore’, which was rather eclectic) to enthusiasm about the gathering of various ‘high weirdness’ elements wedded to an exciting action tale, with the edifying underlying theme of Free Will elevated it into a quirky pleasure. I was certainly primed for the sequel, Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008). Hellboy action figures had already come out for the first film, so as I was buying the new ones, I was also trying to get my hands on the old ones. This collection is a combo of the two, which I mainly gathered between July and August 2008.

“He has wings full of eyes and a heart full of dust. He is Hellboy's personal Angel of Death in Hellboy II: The Golden Army, and I just know what many Goths are going to top their Christmas trees with this year.” – December 8, 2008, Power of Babel.

No comments:

Post a Comment