Saturday, October 21, 2023

Out of the Toybox (84): Envoy



These last toys, still Mint in Box as it were, are where I must leave the pursuit. It began in August (soon after my 60th birthday) and grew from an occasional post until it almost overwhelmed all my writing posts. It has been fun and obsessive and maddening at times, but it must be incomplete. I went back and counted all the action figures (a much easier task since they have been photographed), and the number I came up with was 2,706. I know there are still some ‘inferior’ figures in the Big Toy Box or up in the attic, but they can remain there for the moment. I do not have the energy or the strength to pursue them. There might easily be at least another 300 (or then again, maybe not), so if anybody asks in the future, I’m just going to say I have 3000 or so. It is very odd to have even an approximate number after all these years. And now my action figures can be enjoyed easily in contemplation without having to haul the bins out every time. Alas, I grow old, and my follies grow ever harder to indulge in, but at least imagination can frisk through pictures of these vanities and think such idle thoughts as “What if Gandalf did meet Dumbledore?” or “What would Mr. Spock think about Yoda?” or even “What if Captain Jack Sparrow encountered Sigmund the Sea Monster?” A man can dream … a man can dream.  And these crude little icons make it easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment