Thursday, May 23, 2024

Basic Reading: Magazines

 





























Besides books, we got an irregular supply of magazines, both comics and periodicals. Never a great many, and, as I said, not regularly. They were something of a treat, but they were also intensely scrutinized, so that in time most became rather ratty and fell apart. Planet of the Apes, sharks, and what you might call Weird Subjects (like UFOs or sea monsters), were all topics of our interest. I shall soon have a Basic Reading post on such things. The comics of Monster of Frankenstein and Man-Thing from Marvel were also part of our focus, and I have entire anthologies of those now that fill in all the parts that I missed. That issue of The Savage Sword of Conan marks the last time our parents bought us reading material when we went on vacation to the beach; after that I pretty much got them on my own. But our earliest magazines were The Wonderful World of Disney, a tie-in to the TV show and the parks, offered by Gulf at their gas stations. We would usually pick ours up on our way to our grandmother Omi’s house or at the gas station next to the grocery store. I think. It would have been 1969 -1970.

No comments:

Post a Comment