Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Basic Reading: Beginning Somewhere



























Basic reading. A memory collection of books, comics, and magazines I read from elementary (McQueeney) through middle school (Briesemeister). Ranging from very simple to what I would describe as ‘cusp books’, that would lead to more adult reading. They will come in batches; some are representative parts of series. Some we had; some we saw in libraries. Most have appeared on the blog before, but I think arranged here by category and time they can be more illuminating of certain aspects of my childhood.

Some books for very little kids. Junior Elf books. Little Golden Books. Scholastic books for junior readers. Another grade of books shared with my brothers; some were obtained in First or Second Grade from the Weekly Reader book orders, others from family or even just read in school, but somehow all leaving an indelible mark on the mind. As C. S. Lewis learned ‘the idea of autumn’ from Beatrix Potter’s Tale of Squirrel Nutkin, so I was impressed with the idea of Autumn from Donald Duck’s Toy Sailboat, with its yellow and brown leaves and acorns, or just with the abstract idea of Color from Grandpa Bunny. Norman Bridwell’s Monster books or indeed Thaddeus Jones and the Dragon (read in 2nd Grade) might be seen as transitional books into the next phase of reading. I may be just an old curmudgeon, but it always seemed to me that the quality of books my nieces and nephews were being offered as they grew up never approached what we were given, certainly not in terms of graphics.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment