Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Animals; Animals; See Them Everywhere: The Shadow Library

 

Of course, Owls in the Family reminds me of books that we had as a family, on similar themes. Perhaps the closest was Little Rascal, by Sterling North, a cut down version of his larger book Rascal: A Memoir of a Better Era (1963). That better era was during WWI and the Spanish flu. As I said, it was a family book, shared among us kids, but I think Mike had the largest interest in it. I don’t remember ever reading it myself. Needless to say, at the end Rascal, a raccoon, has to be released into the wild. Mike also had a copy of The Yearling (by Marjorie Kinning Rawlings) years later. I think Nomads of the North (James Oliver Curwood/Disney) was his too.

To continue the deer theme, I used to have two copies of Bambi, one a paperback with the original (translated) story by Felix Salten, and one an adaptation by Idella Purnell of the Walt Disney movie. Although there are dozens of editions, I can’t find the cover of the book I remember (I always seem to find the most obscure copy imaginable), but here is the Disney one.

And to continue the animation theme, here are three family books from the Xerox publishing company: Bugs Bunny, The Roadrunner, and The Flintstones.

I finish up with a couple of oddities and maybe carry on the caveman theme. The First Men in the World by Anne Terry White, which I remember reading in our 4th Grade library and bought a copy of at Yesterday’s Warehouse, and The World’s Greatest Athlete by Gerald Gardner and Dee Caruso (a novelization of the Disney movie), which I cannot remember how or comprehend why we came to have, but it lingered on, neglected, and survived far longer than more well-loved books.


No comments:

Post a Comment