Friday, March 25, 2022

Classical Gas: The Shadow Library

 

                                The Last Days of Socrates ... Plato

    Protagoras and Meno ... Plato

The Symposium ... Plato

The Nature of The Universe ... Lucretius

The Agricola and The Germania ... Tacitus

The Histories ... Tacitus

The Annals of Imperial Rome ... Tacitus

The Conquest of Gaul ... Julius Caesar


The Aeneid ... Virgil, tr. W. F. Jackson Knight

The Histories ... Herodotus
The Voyage of Argo ... Apollonius of Rhodes

        The Theban Plays ... Sophocles
The Oresteian Trilogy ... Aeschylus

Euripides I: Alcestis; The Medea; The Heracleidae; Hippolytus … Euripides

Sophocles II: Ajax; The Women of Trachis; Electra; Philoctetes … Sophocles

1 comment:

  1. I remembered the existence of the last two books here after I published the original post, but not their titles, and they appeared on none of my surviving lists, but only in my memory. I recovered them by plugging the terms "Greek plays paperback" into Google Search and looking until I recognized the covers. Once more I had obtained some of the ugliest and most obscure printings available. In college I was fascinated by Greek and Latin literature; I had heard that only between 520-550 works still survived. It seemed an obtainable goal.

    ReplyDelete