Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Roll for Initiative: The Shadow Library

Deities and Demigods … James M. Ward & Robert J. Kuntz

One of the two D&D volumes I bought as a senior in high school. I don’t know if mine was the original 1980 edition or the amended 1980 edition; if it were the first it would have included the Cthulhu and Melnibonean ‘pantheons’ that were later removed for copyright issues, thus making the original rarer and more collectible. I bought it in early 1981 (according to one of my scant diary entries), but I can’t remember at this distance whether it had Lovecraft stuff in it or not. Then again, I guess it doesn’t matter now.

It occurred to me after I first published this post that if I looked at samples of the interior illustrations it might jog my memory, and it has. I particularly remember that arrow pattern behind Arioch, and the terrible design of Hastur rang a few bells as well. So, that’s that mystery solved. As usual, I got rid of the more valuable item and kept the more common.

No comments:

Post a Comment