Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Mystery in the Shadow Library

 


The Dead Man's Knock; The Eight of Swords; The Man Who Could Not Shudder ... John Dickson Carr

“Dr Gideon Fell is a fictional character created by John Dickson Carr. He is the protagonist of 23 mystery novels from 1933 through 1967, as well as a few short stories. Dr. Fell is a corpulent man with a moustache who wears a cape and a shovel hat and walks with the aid of two canes.  His age is not specified; in his first appearance, in a 1933 novel, he is said to be "not too old" but with a kind of ancient quality about him. He is frequently described as bringing the spirit of Father Christmas or Old King Cole into a room. Dr Fell is supposedly based upon G. K. Chesterton (author of the Father Brown stories), whose physical appearance and personality were similar to those of Doctor Fell.” – Wikipedia.

That was enough of an enticement for me, and back in the Nineties I bought these paperbacks. At this late date I can’t remember any details about them, and they did not engage me to any great degree. I was more enamored with their covers. I’d forgotten them for about 20 years until this afternoon. As with many items in the Shadow Library, I wonder if I would appreciate them more now.

No comments:

Post a Comment