Tuesday, July 23, 2024

A Friend You Haven't Met: Part Two

 

My attention snapped from the sky back to the still-open door at a sudden thin cry. Another figure was coming through, clinging to the entryway with black nails and squawking in alarm. It looked like nothing so much as an oddly-clothed chimpanzee, except for its elongated muzzle and the sweeping beard that hung to its waist. And there was something in its stance as it stood poised on the threshold, feet scrabbling for purchase and eyes looking around in panic, that seemed to be of more than animal awareness. I only saw that for a few seconds before it suddenly lost its grip, pushed forward by a second figure, and both went tumbling with a booming splash into the waters of the fountain basin.

They thrashed around in the water, trying to find a foothold, grabbing each other, slipping, and jabbering away together in anger and dismay. The first one was dressed in some sort of long tunic and tall hat, which he kept losing, finding, putting back dripping onto his head, and losing again. The other was like him but squatter, burly, and clad in bulky scaled armor and a red cloak that was hindering his getting up on his iron-booted feet. They finally floundered over the rim of the fountain, beards streaming and water running into their eyes. They stood a moment arguing face to face, wringing out their whiskers and adjusting their clothes. I sat watching, still as a stone, then coughed slightly.

They swung their heads toward me, slowly, in unison, then looked back at each other. It seemed they had just realized their unusual situation had an unexpected witness. They turned to face me, shoulder to shoulder.

It seemed the big one recovered his composure first. He adjusted the close red leather helmet on his head and put his fist to his waist, and it was then that I noticed he was armed with a short sword. He started marching up to me, eyes darting side to side.

“Brukto ken Tekkel?” he growled. I cocked my head inquiringly. It was no kind of speech I’d ever heard before. I tried to keep my composure, to show I wasn’t too excitable or dangerous. In situations like this – whatever this was – I figured it was best to keep cool.

“Pardon?” I asked mildly.

“Tekkel kest purunda!” he snapped, eyes darting around warily. His lip snarled, showing sharp, lupine teeth. His knotted fist drew the blade halfway from its sheath. I swallowed reflexively.

“Tarendo, tarendo,” the thin one said, coming up behind him quickly and putting an urgent but calming hand on his shoulder. I noticed the fingers of his hairy hand ended in long, pointed nails. He proceeded to pour a stream of admonishment into the other’s round ear, too quick for me to catch any individual words. The big one backed down with a grumble in his throat and shot the sword back into its sheath.

The thin one held his hands up, palms out, and came towards me slowly. He was still damp from his wallowing but seemed to be trying to smile in a placating manner through his dripping hair.

“Tarendo,” he repeated slowly and clearly. “Vel selim Morgs. Vel teressit ken Tekkel. Te teres ken Tekkel?”

I shook my head and shrugged.

“I’m sorry, friend,” I said. “No comprende your lingo. I reckon you must be from far, far away.”

He cocked his head while I spoke, listening to my tone I thought, and trying to pick out any kind of sense. He pursed his lips and wagged his hat in disappointment. Then apparently an idea struck him.

“Tarendo, tarendo,” he said quickly, and reached slowly into some sort of pocket in the folds of his tunic, so as not to startle me, I expect. He drew out something that clinked and gleamed in his hand.

When the big one saw it, he started to protest, but the thin one raised a monitory finger to stop him, and he backed off, griping in their odd dialect. The thin one approached me slowly, open hand extended, offering me the glittering thing that lay in his palm. I hesitated, then reached out a cautious hand to take it.

I raised it, link by link, from his leathery paw. It was a necklace, plain steel, as far as I could tell. Swinging at the end was a flat brass disc, engraved with interweaving letters of some sort, curved and pointy. It didn’t look like any kind of signage I’ve ever seen before, and believe me, I’ve seen some odd ones. I didn’t sense any harm in it though, nor in the old boy who held it out. I gathered it up in my fist and shook it in acceptance, smiling.

“Thank’ee, sir,” I said. “Sorry I don’t have a present for you.” A thought struck me. “Except, maybe …” They watched me curiously as I dove into my hip pocket and took out my wallet. I drew out a twenty-dollar bill, smoothed it ostentatiously, and presented it to my benefactor’s great surprise.

He took the green paper, looking at in puzzlement, then passed it to his companion, who knit his overhanging brows as he perused the wild features of old Mr. Jackson. The thin one shook his brown beard gently.

“Roo, roo,” he said, and made signs that I should put his offering around my neck.

“All right,” I said amiably, nodding my head in agreement. “But I never did look good in jewelry.” I spread the chain open and, a little reluctantly, a little theatrically, put the thing over my head.

The big guy was grousing, evidently impatient and miffed by how slow I was going. As the disc hit my chest, his jabbering suddenly came clear to me, and I heard him say, in as plain language as ever I’ve heard, “We’re wasting time! The Tekkel could be miles from here by now!”

“A little patience,” the other said. “The rune should be taking effect.” He looked at my face curiously. “I think it has. Do – you – under - stand – me?” he asked, raising his voice a bit.

“Yes – I - do,” I parroted back. “And you needn’t shout; I’m not deef, you know.”

“Oh, I do beg your pardon.” He turned to his companion. “It’s working,” he said happily.

“Well, hoo-rar, then.” The burly one reached out and grabbed my shoulder. “Which way’s the Tekkel, gone, eh?”

“The Tekkel,” I said evenly. “That would be that black, long-leggity thing, would it?”

 He shook me a bit, not too gently. “Time’s wasting, man!” he growled. “That thing’s dangerous. There’s no telling what it might do!”

“Dangerous, you say?” I drawled. At my age, I’m not one to go charging in without the facts. “Dangerous how? It was pretty ugly, all right, but not very big, and it seemed scared.” I waved my hand. “It flew off that-a-way.”

“Size has nothing to do with it,” the thin one said, his expression anxious. “Didn’t you feel it as it passed you? The Tekkel have dark powers, evil magic … but perhaps this place is not familiar with such things?”

“No, not familiar,” I sighed. I raised myself up on rusty knees. “But not altogether strange to it, either.” I cracked my back. “Well, come on, boys. We’d best be after it. But we better do a few things first.”

No comments:

Post a Comment