Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Elvish 'Birthday'


It just recently came to my attention that in Morgoth’s Ring (the 10th volume of The History of Middle-earth) Tolkien’s last note on the subject states that the Elves’ gestation period lasts one year (because Elves have to beat out Men on all counts; in fact an earlier note suggested that it lasted 104 years!), and that they do not celebrate the day of their birth, but the day of their conception, which of course Elvish parents, being in superior control of their bodies, know exactly when that is. But since the day of their birth tends to be near the day of their conception, there seems to be little difference in the celebration.

Of course, since Tolkien was a Catholic, he knew that the life (and therefore the person) began at conception. By these standards my ‘Elvish Birthday’ (considering my mere mortal nine months) is somewhere around October 11, 1962. I was overdue for 2 or 3 weeks, so the dates are a little slidey. I always did like October, even beyond the pleasures of Halloween.  I wonder if this is somehow related?

No comments:

Post a Comment