Monday, July 15, 2024

Arty Facts of Interest?

 



The first picture may be the earliest drawing of mine to survive; I believe I either did it in Second or Third Grade; probably Third, considering the cursive writing. I definitely believe it was based on a full page drawing in the Weekly Reader, depicting a bunch of cartoony sea life in what was basically a cutaway section of the sea. I always liked pictures like that; you would often see illustrations in science books showing unlikely crowds of plants and animals in one 'typical' environment, and these fascinated me. That is an angler fish, an octopus, a small fish hovering over a sponge, and an anchor lying underneath the waves. And it is, of course, dedicated to 'Momma.'

The second picture is a drawing I made OF Mom, it must be over twenty-five years ago. I made it with the help of a projector and one of her favorite studio photographs of herself. Of course I had to draw the hair in by myself, and the necklace and the dress pattern are entirely freehand. The necklace was totally imaginary. 

The reason I have these out and am able to take pictures of them is because they were stored behind a shelf that has to be moved so we can get up to the switch-box: apparently the air conditioner has tripped it. The situation was too good to last this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment