Saturday, July 20, 2024

Saturday Cartoons


A more obscure batch of cartoons we watched in the old days were the Noveltoons, by Paramount/Famous Studios, the same people who made the old Popeyes. You can see a bunch of oddly familiar names attached to these shorts, I. Sparber and George Germanetti and Winston Sharples, all people who worked on  many Fleischer productions, from Popeye to Gulliver and Gabby. The Noveltoons were never quite as prominent as Popeye though, never played as much. I imagine they were part of a package deal but never got prominent airplay, mostly filling up time after a movie was over. Noveltoons also presented characters from Harvey Comics, Casper and Wendy and Baby Huey. Anyway, here is a weird batch that I somewhat feverishly remember:





'The Voice of the Turkey' would have been an interesting addition to my Thanksgiving posts.

I guess my upcoming birthday has me looking irresistibly backwards; that we are going through troubled times again makes the past all the more appealing, though looking back at the late 60's - early 70's one can hardly say things were exactly bucolic. Maybe just slightly better (in some ways) than they are now; certainly not a kid's concern. Perhaps I should just heed these words of wisdom from the Mambo King:

No comments:

Post a Comment