Sunday, August 4, 2024

John's Tolkien Library

 


The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Set)



The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien, edited by Humphrey Carpenter



A Tolkien Miscellany



Roverandom



The Tolkien Reader



The Silmarillion



Unfinished Tales



Pictures



The Children of Hurin



The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun



On Fairy Stories



The Lord of the Rings (1 Vol. Movie Tie-In Omnibus)



The J. R. R. Tolkien Audio Collection



The Lays of Beleriand



The Book of Lost Tales, Part One



The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two



The Lost Road and Other Writings



The Shaping of Middle-Earth: The Quenta, the Ambarkanta and the Annals



The Rankin/Bass Hobbit



The World of the Rings, by Jared Lobdel



Tolkien: Author of the Century, by Tom Shippey



The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth, by Robert Foster



A Hobbit’s Journal, by Michael Green



Greg and Tim Hildebrandt: The Tolkien Years



J. R. R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator, by Hammond & Scull



The Atlas of Middle-Earth, by Kathryn Wynn Fonstead



Bored of the Rings, Harvard Lampoon



Master of Middle-Earth, by Paul H. Kocher

The Lord of the Rings Fotonovel

One of the peculiar effects of finding Middle-earth is that, not only does it become ‘the center of [one’s] secret knowledge’, as Peter S. Beagle has it, but one feels the immediate need to share that secret, to proselytize for it, as it were, so as to have someone to talk with about it. I remember long summer nights retelling the story of The Lord of the Rings to my brother John, as we lay on pallets under the air conditioning in the living room, trying to relax and fall asleep. We went to see Ralph Bakshi’s The Lord of the Rings movie together. I’m not sure exactly when John started to get his own Tolkien books, but I do remember them clustered close to his fish tank. Lately I've felt the urge to catalog his Tolkien library, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was bigger than I realized. I've tried to reproduce the exact covers; I'm not to sure about the Audio Collection or the 1-Volume movie tie-in. Since I've included the Audio Collection, I'm sure I could add whatever movies or soundtracks that he has. I'm expecting a little essay about Tolkien and its intersection and influence on John's life, which I intend to publish here. 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment