Saturday, August 3, 2024

Birthday Books 2024

 

The Man Born to Be King: Wade Annotated Edition, by Dorothy L. Sayers


Thorn, by Jeff Smith

I spent my birthday present money on these books, and they came in today at about 1 PM, a day earlier than they were scheduled. As I have previously described them in an earlier Wish List post, I won't describe them in much more detail. The next time I want to re-read The Man Born to Be King, I will use this edition; it's only drawback seems to be the rather small type; necessary, I suppose, to fit everything into the space allotted, but a bit of a strain on these tired old eyes. Needs a bright light right on the page, and maybe my cheatin' glasses. Thorn is kind of a typical college strip of its time, spotted with sex and drugs and angst as it goes wandering around in and out of a fantasy story, liberal rubbish, episodes in a student's life, and even stretches with a visiting fellow cartoonist. Strange to think that at the same time I was going to SWTSU Smith was working at developing the Bones and publishing in his college paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment