Saturday, August 3, 2024

Something I Sometimes Think About

 


It is an oddly melancholic fact that in all our family photos there is not one certfiably identified picture of me as a baby. True, family photos from those days are rather scarce on the ground, but there are quite a few of Mike (as firstborn child). It is also true that when I was born Mom and Pop were going through some financial and personal hardships. It is hard to imagine in this day of instantaneous and multiplicitous phone photography what a difficult process it was to 'take a picture,' especially before instant cameras. Still, you think there could have been one, and that one could have had my name scribbled on it in pencil. This might be one of the reasons I feel so compelled to document myself. It is a rather nagging thought that somewhere in an old aunt's or uncle's photo album there might be a fading picture of me that their grandkids are wondering about: "Who the hell is this baby?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment