Friday, August 23, 2024

Sorry, No Friday Fiction Today, But ... Into the Archives!

I had an appointment with a doctor today that took up all of my 'juice' to prepare for. I have written a little more on 'Thrand' but not enough to post. However, my neice did take me for a quick trip to the library bookstore afterwards (not too far away; but I've been wanting to go all summer). I found:

Gore Vidal (Five Early  Novels, Unabridged but with some rewrites and editing by Vidal) An Octopus/Heinemann Book 1982
These five novels, written by Vidal between the ages of 21 and 39, are Julian, Williwaw, The Judgement of Paris, Messiah, and The City and the Pillar. I've always wanted a good reading copy of Julian (Gore Vidal trying to be Robert Graves); the old paperback I inherited from Mike was too flimsy. The rest are just bonuses; a couple I had copies of before. At $5 it equals out to a dollar a novel. Hardback; lacks this cover.
Flannery O'Conn: Collected Works (The Library of America, 1988)
With this volume I now have the most of Flannery O'Connor's work (another book I got at the library bookstore had her collected short stories). Besides selected short stories, it includes essays and letters, Wise Blood, A Good Man Is Hard to Find, The Violent Bear it Away, and Everything That Rises Must Converge. So, another gaggle of novels in one volume. This one was in very good condition, a hardback for $16. But it's very nice, so worth it. And looking back, I see it was on my Wish List!
Cicero: Murder Trials (Penguin, This Edition 1990) Translated by Michael Grant.
I cannot resist a good Penguin Edition, and this was only $2. Covers Cicero's classic defense arguments from four murder trials, arguments that have been studied by lawyers and rhetoricians for centuries. Will I actually read it? We shall see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment