Saturday, August 17, 2024

Once Upon a Toy: Star Trek: The Next Generation Galoob


In 1988 Star Trek:The Next Generation was only in its second season. I had not gotten into the show yet; it didn't really hit its stride until the third season, ironing out some rough spots and no longer competing with the original Star Trek. But 1988 was when they came out with their first series of action figures, by Galoob. As I say, I didn't really have a great interest in ST:TNG, and the toys themselves seemed to have inferior likenesses and construction, much poorer in construction and sculpt to the series by Playmates, which came along to replace them. The only two figures that had any interest for me were the Antican and the Selay, two early 'mask aliens', as opposed to the predominant 'make-up' aliens. They seemed like they could be adaptable to many playings. Of course I never saw them on the shelves. The masks were used on the show several times just for backround aliens; couldn't afford to waste the expense used on them. The dog-like Anticans alway remind me of Sir Didymus from Jim Henson's Labyrinth (1986).

No comments:

Post a Comment