Tuesday, August 13, 2024

August 13, 2019 Diary



8/13/2019: Woke up about 7 AM, did devotions, went in at 9 AM to get breakfast and check mail. No books, but paper on the island that shows my interview (on the front page, no less!) with the Gazette is out today! Whole day tempered by that. Much sharing on FaceBook, especially by Kenny and Amy. Ate lots of leftovers for lunch. Rosary. Message from Joey about Bible study; meeting tomorrow. Made sausage, cabbage, and taters today. E-mailed John.

Me:The cat is, as it were, out of the bag. Some day, some day, I know, I will have my own copy of my book [I'd been waiting for one to come since July 25]. I noticed two things about the article: I KNOW I mentioned Susan's name. I wouldn't be surprised if she were displeased that David Fleming's name is there, but not hers. Also they quote the high end price for the hardback when the ordinary price is $19.99.  And they had me saying 'kind of' and 'sort of' kind of a sort of a lot. If I had been editing, I would have streamlined that a bit, if only out of courtesy.

John: That was very gracious of you to include me so prominently in your interview,  thank you! I am very proud of you, that article was nicely done overall, ( you're probably right about  Susan, though), and both as a Babel and a Seguinite, I couldn't be more pleased. Had more car troubles today, amongst a few other harrowing August breakdowns,  so bear with my intermittent communications over these next days as I sort things out. God, I hate August- but your article was like a much needed crisp Autumn breeze- whew! [They had also been visiting Amy's uncle, who was in the hospital.]

Went in to clean up at 8 PM, found out Kam had eaten the sausage I usually do, but today had decided to wait as I was still full from lunch. Got some broccoli salad and the 3 copies of th paper Andy had brought me and came back out. And I guess that's it for today. When I think about it I realize my head - sinuses?- still hurt, and my right arm still numbish and weak from this morning.

I realized today that I don't know how to react to success of any kind. It just doesn't feel as fantabulous as I always imagined it would be. Like I reached a summit only to realize there's another summit up ahead, like at Enchanted Rock, and I can't really rest just yet. Maybe it's like Samuel Johnson said; many of the people I wanted to share it with are dead. [I was already writing notes for a sequel that never got off the ground, which I was calling Bob's Book II.]

To Yen: I want to say I hope I go on for a while, but at this point in my life I think I could crumble into dust without too many regrets, having left something behind that proves I was here. I know, that is very Babellian (on the grimmer side of the spectrum).

He: I totally understand it, though. This is your monument on Babel’s Peak (until of course you do bigger things).

[I am posting a little late today (2024) because I had a doctor's appointment.]

No comments:

Post a Comment